Out of the blue wintery winds swooped in for one final hurrah this past week. In response our heater kicked up its heels and died. It’s a bit ironic that the one week of truly cold weather we’ve had all winter coincided with the death of our heating source. So be it. As we wait for the heating repair team, we’ve been huddled under the covers, enjoying hot beverages, and taking breaks to work in the yard. We’ve found a little elbow grease and sunshine is warmer than our home’s interior by day. What a great excuse to prep my spring garden!
Here’s what my little one and I have accomplished in the past few days:
- Picked most of the last of the winter garden veggies (Kale, Brussels Sprouts, spinach, and lettuce)
- Cleaned out the winter veggie stalks and put them in the compost
- Staked my slow growing cabbage and put out beer bait for the snails eating its low hanging leaves
- Cleaned, cut, and froze the last of the winter veggies for cooking
- Began installing recycled glass bottle garden border (photos to come with tutorial soon!)
- Build second 8X8 raised garden bed
- Transplant berry bushes into newer ph specific soil
- Transplant first round of spouts into bigger containers and plant another round of seeds
- the list goes on and on…I love garden season!
Peace and Plenty,